A Landing page is where visitors land after clicking on an email link, a search engine result, a banner ad, or manually type in a specific advertised address.
Although the website’s home page can also be referred to as a “Landing Page” with this definition, it is custom to refer to an internal page as a real landing page. A landing page can also exist on a special domain name used for marketing promotions. These pages are focused on a particular product, service or item rather than a typical homepage with lots of choices for the user.
A landing page is not vastly different from a corporate website. However it is a specialized page that visitors are directed to once they've clicked on a link (from an Email Marketing newsletter for example), an offer, a banner ad, a search result on Google search results page, a PPC ad or any other generic URL that they have heard of in a TV commercial, radio ad, etc’. The page is usually tightly focused on a particular product or service with the aim of getting the visitor to buy or take some form of action rapidly that will lead ultimately to a sale.
A successful landing page must answer the following key questions:
What is the offer?
Who is the target audience?
Why are they interested, and why should they take further action?
How do they get started?
Fact: 79% of internet traffic goes to internal pages (i.e. landing page) on a website - leaving only 21% of visitors finding your homepage first. Source: Marketing Sherpa
Landing pages simplify the clutter in front of users and clarify the task you would like them to complete. By offering simple features and targeted information users can clearly see what to do next - thus increasing the chances they will do so.
In other words – if you thought that the home page of your website is the most important page, you should reconsider that. With the progress of the search engines search algorithm, the SEO tactics being used and the intensive usage of Search Engine Advertising techniques such as Google Adwords, it is your site’s internal pages that appearing high on the search engines results pages. As such, most of the traffic to your website is actually getting to your internal pages rather than your website’s home page, and this is a good thing.
Landing pages that match the theme of the keyword search have an average conversion closer to 10%.
Landing pages that match the keyword exactly have a conversion rate closer to 12%!